Tuesday, April 19, 2011

24: Cortona

Dear Frances Mayes,

If you are reading this, hello, I'm Peter. Your book, Under the Tuscan Sun, (and movie...) drove me to place Cortona on the top of my list of places to visit in Italy. I was not disappointed. So, thanks.

P.S. Sorry for the angry shout out in Post 22...or 21, I forget.

Cortona is a little jewel nestled into a typical Tuscan hillside. It's much smaller than Siena, but still has that same feeling that if you wander down the winding small streets you're probably going to end up finding something magical, like a great view or a perfect restaurant (both things Carolyn and I found). There's a lot of quiet-living that happens in Cortona that I loved instantly; nothing like in Florence where there's a clear city-sense.

Cortona's main attraction is a steep walk up the hill that takes you past 15 futurism mosaics by Servini that depict something about Jesus (I don't really know what it is though, I'm jewish). Oh, by the way, Happy Passover! So after Carolyn and I dragged ourselves up the walk to find a beautiful church (and a nun. I love nuns), we took in the view.

Cortona shouldn't be missed! Also, I took a photograph of a bunch of the places they filmed Under the Tuscan Sun so I was a pretty happy camper even without the amazing lunch, spectacular views, and iced coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment