Friday, May 13, 2011

31: This is it

I just said goodbye to my new friends I made here in Florence; Carolyn and Katelyn. On top of that I just said goodbye to my snazzy-dressed roommate, Kevin before he went out for the night. And now it's just me packing, wondering if the weight limit for Lufthansa applies to the heavy mixed emotions I feel about departing tomorrow afternoon.

I can't say I'm one to handle many feelings at once. I prefer my emotions to be simple, straight forward, and one noted. I'm excited to be going home, which feels like a big sigh of relief. Not that I was holding my breath this entire semester, but I think I'm just glad to be going back to something familiar where it's okay to let my guard down. But on the other hand, I'm sad to be leaving because I have grown attached to Florence. And while I may have not undergone an Eat, Pray, Love transformation, I do think I grew a little and I'm almost sure I found myself again (at least a small part of the self I was before). I'm also dreading the airport security, which will be heightened no doubt... but I also feel good and secure about the hypothetical and assumed heightened security. I'm just feeling all over the place!

So this is it. My semester of self-discovery and food is coming to a close. I leave Florence a little heavier than I once was (thank you pasta), a bit more linguistically versed (thanks to my Italian teacher, Catia), definitely with a better fashion sense (mostly thanks to the Italian style), and a little bit more complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment