Friday, January 28, 2011

6: This Nuovo Apartamento

Original Post Date: 1/25/2011 12:55 pm Florence Time

It is only natural that a new place, in a new country, in a new language is overwhelming at best. The 30-minute frantic car ride around Florence’s center trying to find exactly where my apartment is, while humorous and provided me a chance to try some Italian out on Signore Bartollini, dampened my fizzling excitement. Add the sudden and soaking Tuscan rain as I walked around my new neighborhood and you’d find yourself terribly homesick. Actually, I was overcome with the feeling of, “what the fuck did I sign up for?” This gut reaction is normal, right?

I tried to combat this blues by taking a stroll around my hidden apartment (so hidden, in fact, that I couldn’t find it for a bit on my way back). There are a few gelato places on the main via, and an H&M about two blocks down. I passed a group of gypsy women gossiping I assume in their crackling and raspy Italian. I hoped they weren’t talking to me; I tried to blend in as much as possible. I’m not sure I succeeded, hah! Turning down a side street with no name, I saw a sign for a minimart. Having not eaten anything since the wee hours of the morning ho fame. The silver-haired woman working greeted me with a big Boungiorno! To which I replied meekly, Salve, hello. When I put my items on the counter to purchase, she was extra careful to say the total in English. And she smiled at me. And I felt better.

Back at the cold apartment, where even though the heat had been on for 2+ hours, I ate my Nutella sandwich and thought that despite the rain, Florence is okay so far. A word of advice to travelers: arriving at your destination in the morning is a buzzkill and you’ll be tired and cranky the rest of your first day there.

No comments:

Post a Comment